How to Know if You’re a LASIK Surgery Candidate
Are you considering LASIK eye surgery? If you want a better option than contacts or eyeglasses, LASIK surgery may prove the right choice to improve your vision. At Grand Junction ICON Eyecare, we can help you determine whether your eye health and other factors make you a good match for LASIK eye surgery in Grand Junction.
Our caring eye doctors will review your health history and current lifestyle. After a thorough exam from one of our eye care specialists in Grand Junction, you’ll know what your best options are for improved vision. In the meantime, keep reading for important information on candidacy for LASIK surgery, the benefits of this safe, simple procedure and what to expect next.
Are You a Good Candidate for LASIK?
Our eye doctors will provide you with as much information as possible to help you decide the best treatment option to improve your vision. For example, you can take our LASIK self-test to help determine if this procedure is right for your lifestyle. Here are some of the criteria we consider when evaluating LASIK eligibility:
- Do you have good eye health?
- Is your overall health good?
- Do you have realistic vision expectations for LASIK surgery in Grand Junction?
If your eye prescription falls within certain parameters and you have no recurring eye infections, you could be a good candidate for LASIK surgery. On the other hand, if you have keratoconus, significant cataracts, or certain eye diseases, you may not benefit from LASIK or face an unacceptable risk of complications.
For example, if you have recurring ocular herpes infections, irregular astigmatism, or thin corneas, LASIK surgery isn’t right for you. It’s also not a good idea to undergo the procedure if you’re nursing, pregnant or plan to become pregnant within six months.
Patients over the age of 18 and in good overall health are typical candidates for LASIK surgery. Even if this procedure doesn’t work for you, we’ll do our best to find LASIK alternatives that do.
Benefits of LASIK
LASIK eye surgery in Grand Junction has overwhelmingly positive results for those who undergo the procedure. In fact, up to 96% of patients say they achieved their vision goals following LASIK.
Benefits of LASIK include the following:
- The doctor administers numbing drops to minimize pain and discomfort during and after the procedure.
- You typically notice improved vision within 24 hours following LASIK surgery.
- This is an outpatient procedure and doesn’t require any stitches or bandages.
- You can usually come back years later for adjustments for vision changes due to age.
- You may eventually need reading glasses, but LASIK surgery produces permanent improvements in your vision.
LASIK Eye Surgery in Grand Junction
The eye care specialists in Grand Junction are experts when it comes to LASIK surgery. We’ll be here, ready to guide you through the preparation, procedure and follow-up care.
LASIK surgery can help many people with the following vision problems:
- Nearsightedness (myopia)
- Farsightedness (hyperopia)
- Astigmatism, which occurs when your cornea has a flat or odd shape and makes it hard to see distant and near objects clearly.
Contact ICON Eyecare in Grand Junction for answers to your questions about LASIK eye surgery. We want you to feel confident and comfortable prior to moving forward with this procedure.
Request An Appointment.
Give us a phone call at (970) 256-0400 Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm to schedule a consultation.